Celebrate the season by joining the San Francisco SPCA and Macy’s for the 32nd unveiling of the iconic Holiday Windows at Union Square on Friday, November 16, at 5 pm. The window displays, which feature adorable, adoptable cats and dogs, have become one of the most beloved symbols of the holiday spirit in San Francisco.
The Wonder of Giving
This year’s windows, titled “The Wonder of Giving,” celebrate the bonds between family and friends and their traditions. Generations of visitors delight in seeing cuddly and adoptable animals that are about to share the holidays with others in a new home.
In 2017, over 200 animals found homes during Holiday Windows and more than $100,000 was raised to provide year-round support for the SF SPCA’s lifesaving programs.
Whimsical Displays and Holiday Nostalgia
Each detail of the Macy’s Holiday Windows is designed for the comfort of the animals. The 2018 Macy’s Holiday Windows feature whimsical and dreamlike visuals utilizing motion, light and music to bring Santa and his helpers to life. Holiday nostalgia envelops passersby as they glimpse Santa, his polar bear and his mouse helpers preparing to decorate Macy’s for Christmas.
But the real magic of togetherness is celebrated each time a pet finds a new loving home.
Combining the magic of holiday giving and finding these animals new homes, along with the importance of being with those we love throughout the season, makes these windows one of our favorite projects all year. Guests from all over the Bay Area and the United States love watching the adorable animals in these windows. Spreading that cheer and finding these animals loving homes at this time of year is magical. —Rise Hixson, Macy’s Visual Manager
Round Up Purchases to Donate to SF SPCA
In addition to the iconic Holiday Windows, Macy’s at Union Square is also hosting a Make Good Cents round up campaign—shoppers can round up their purchases to the nearest dollar and donate the difference between the purchase price and the rounded-up amount to the SF SPCA. The round up campaign will run from November 16-25.
The Cuddle Experience
This year, the magic will expand beyond the windows to a special space on Macy’s 7th floor where visitors will be able to see more adoptable animals and even schedule time in the SF SPCA’s wildly popular Cuddle Experience. A $10 donation gets you 10 minutes of snuggles! Cuddle sessions will be available:
- November 16, 5-7 pm
- November 17-25, 11 am-1 pm and 5-7 pm
On Thursday, November 29, visitors can get their pet’s photo taken with Santa at the special Santa Paws event and indulge in some champagne and treats. Tickets are available at sfspca.org.
Macy’s Union Square Holiday Windows Fun Facts
- Macy’s was the first department store to feature Christmas window displays and has been enchanting generations of spectators since the early 1870’s.
- R.H. Macy began the tradition of animated windows in 1899 at Macy’s original 14th Street location in New York.
- Each Christmas window display is a project nearly a year in the making as plans for the next year's windows begin in January, almost immediately after the windows are taken down.
- During peak hours in the holiday season, thousands of people will pass by the windows.
- In 2010, the windows at Macy’s Union Square were noted as one of the “10 Great Places to Press Your Nose Against the Glass.”
- Since the inception of Holiday Windows 31 years ago, nearly 10,000 dogs and cats have found new homes through the displays and associated events.
- Six out of seven windows are pet containments built solely for the animal’s comfort, featuring temperature control and quick access for SF SPCA personnel. The seventh window features animation with light displays and technology.
- It takes a dedicated team of more than 250 of Santa's helpers to bring the windows to life, including Macy's display artists, graphic artists, sculptural artists, animators, carpenters, electricians and music and sound experts.
- Installation of the Holiday Windows at Macy’s Union Square takes ten days and nights.
- The windows will run through January 1, 2019.