Celebrate the season by joining the San Francisco SPCA, SF ACC and Macy’s for the 33rd unveiling of the iconic Holiday Windows at Union Square on Friday, November 22, at 5:00 pm. A special performance by the De Marillac Academy Choir and guests will open the curtains. The window displays, which feature adorable, adoptable animals, have become one of the most beloved symbols of the holiday spirit in San Francisco and will be open throughout the holiday season.
After you've seen the wonder of the windows, voted one of the 10 Best Places to Press Your Nose by USA Today, stop in and visit the adoption experts at the San Francisco SPCA adoption station on Level 1 and find out how you can give an animal a forever home, just in time for the holidays!
Every year since the 1980s, the San Francisco SPCA has filled the holiday windows in Union Square with adoptable animals. This event has provided an opportunity to get animals in front of a new audience, and more than 8,000 animals have found new homes through the program. Last year alone, 239 animals found homes at Holiday Windows and more than $77,000 was donated to support the SF SPCA’s year-round lifesaving programs.
This is the first time that SF ACC will be part of the event. In addition to kittens and puppies, this year’s Holiday Windows will feature adorable, adoptable small animals like rabbits, chinchillas and guinea pigs.
The Holiday Windows will remain open every day from November 22, 2019 through January 1, 2020 from 10 am to 7 pm, except Thanksgiving and Christmas when they will be closed. On Sunday, November 24, the Windows will be open from 11 am to 6 pm.
This year, the SF SPCA and SF ACC are hosting two special Cuddle Experiences, where visitors can snuggle with adoptable animals. A $10 donation gets you 10 minutes of snuggles! Cuddle sessions are available first come, first served, at Macy’s Holiday Lane on the 7th Floor of Macy’s Union Square.
Cuddle Experience Session Dates and Times
- November 8, 2 pm – 4 pm
- December 5, 12 pm – 2 pm
Where to See the Holiday Windows
Macy's Union Square
Corner of Stockton and O'Farrell Street
170 O’Farrell St
San Francisco, CA 94102
Macy’s Union Square Holiday Windows Fun Facts
- Macy’s was the first department store to feature Christmas window displays and has been enchanting generations of spectators since the early 1870’s.
- R.H. Macy began the tradition of animated windows in 1899 at Macy’s original 14th Street location in New York.
- During peak hours during the holiday season, thousands of people will pass by the windows.
- In 2010 the windows at Macy’s Union Square were noted as one of the “10 Great Places to Press Your Against the Glass”.
- Nearly 10,000 dogs and cats have found new homes from the Holiday Windows
- Four out of the six windows are built with solely for the animal’s comfort, featuring temperature control and quick access for SF SPCA personnel.
- Each Christmas window display is a project nearly a year in the making as plans for the next year’s windows begin in January, almost immediately after the windows are taken down.
- It takes a dedicated team of more than 250 of Santa’s helpers to bring the windows to life including Macy’s display artists, graphic artists, sculptural artists, animators, carpenters, electricians and music and sound experts.
- Installation of the Christmas windows takes 21 days and nights.
- The windows will run through January 1, 2020.
Santa Paws at Macy’s
On December 12, 5 pm – 7 pm on Macy’s 7th Floor, visitors are invited to come and get their pet’s photo taken with Santa at the special Santa Paws event. Champagne and treats will be served and Purina is sponsoring festive giveaways. Tickets are $45 and include admission for two people, two dogs and a printed photo with Santa. All proceeds support the SF SPCA and SF ACC, ensuring that their shelter animals can stay warm, cozy and healthy during the holidays. Tickets are available at sfspca.org.
Reserve a spot here.
While you’re in the store, be sure to check out Charles Suwannaporn's collection, a designer in residence at the Fashion Incubator SF. The Limited Edition Collaboration will be available to shop during the event and 10% of your purchase will support the SF SPCA. Shop the collection here.