Rock to the Rhythms and Style of Macy’s American Icons
On Friday, May 13th and for the fourth year in a row, Macy’s is launching the “American Icons” campaign with the goal of celebrating the people, places and things that make the U.S. great. This year, the campaign is focusing on America’s rich music traditions and paying tribute to music-rich locales like New Orleans and Memphis, and showcasing some of today’s hottest musicians—including multiplatinum, Grammy®-nominated, international superstar Adam Lambert; Kelsea Ballerini, recipient of Billboard’s Women In Music “Rising Star” Award; and megastars Thalia Sodi, Lady Gaga and Sir Elton John.
Unbeatable Summer Style
Macy’s is shining a light on the connection between musical genres (jazz, blues, country, rock, folk and pop) and fashion by sharing looks inspired by uniquely soulful places. We shaped partnerships with several artists to represent brands that are in perfect synch with their music, and then created captivating images of the artists wearing the styles. Adam Lambert is the new charismatic face of Macy’s I.N.C. International Concepts; singer-songwriter Austin Mahone sports festival-style garb from American Rag, Levi’s and others; Destiny Frasqueri (aka Princess Nokia) struts cutting-edge fashion from Calvin Klein. Kelsea Ballerini wears RACHEL Rachel Roy, Maison Jules and Ray-Ban, and Johnnyswim showcases denim. Vivid colors and patterns shape Thalia Sodi’s latest collection for Macy’s.
Love Bravery—A Fashion Line That Inspires Compassion
In partnership with music icons Lady Gaga and Sir Elton John, Macy’s has also created a limited-edition line of clothing, accessories and novelty items intended to combat prejudice. Called Love Bravery, this is fashion with a mission—25% of the purchase price of the products will benefit the Born This Way Foundation and the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
YouTube Digital Music Festival
On Thursday, June 2 at 8 pm, Macy’s is hosting a 60-minute-long digital music festival—“Macy’s Summer Vibes”—on the Macy’s official YouTube channel (youtube.com/macys). Broadway actor Todrick Hall will headline the concert and he’ll be joined by emerging artists that include as pop rock singer-songwriter, AJ Rafael; family musical group, the Gardiner Sisters; and teen singer-songwriter, Macy Kate. All the performers will be wearing Macy’s latest summer fashions.
For every view of the festival through June 19, Macy’s will donate $1, up to $100,000, to Got Your 6, the national veteran nonprofit campaign that empowers veterans to become leaders, team builders and problem solvers in their local communities. Customers can follow the experience through #SummerVibes and learn more by visiting macys.com/summervibes starting May 10.
Got Your 6 Weekend
To further empower veterans, head to a Macy’s store from Friday, May 13 to Sunday, May 15. Give $3 at the register or on macys.com and get a 25% off savings pass to get discounts throughout the day on your purchases (exclusions and restrictions apply). The full $3 will be donated to Got Your 6. Pre-sale of the passes begin in-store on May 8. Learn more at http://social.macys.com/americanicons/got-your-six/.
In June, Macy’s will host a variety of in-store American Icon events, everything from live musical performances and panel discussions with musicians to events that fuse the worlds of music and food.
American Icons Launch Events
Join Macy’s as we celebrate the launch of American Icons.
- Macy’s on State Street in Chicago, Friday, May 13, 2016 at 12:00 pm. Join us on the 7th Floor Seven on State for live Americana performances by local pop vocalist, Isaiah Grass and former America's Got Talent contestant, Sharon Irving. Then head to the lower level where Erica from Everything shows you how to pack the perfect picnic for any summer concert.
- Macy’s Herald Square, Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm, Kid's Family Fun Day, Kids on 7. Join Macy’s as we celebrate the launch of American Icons and the 10th Anniversary of Pinkalicious with a fun-filled afternoon for the whole family! Take a seat at our Reading Circle for a very Pinkalicious storytime and performance from the Vital Theatre Company’s Pinkalicious the Musical! Following the story and performance, guests will have an opportunity to meet the cast, get crafty with Brooklyn’s The Woodshop, and a special pinktastik cookie decorating activity with Stella’s own Master Pastry Chef, Stefanie Morgato! Plus, with a purchase of $35 or more in the Kid’s department you will receive with your very own copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Pinkalicous*. Event subject to change or cancellation. *While supplies last and time permits. Purchases must be made on 5/14/16.
- Macy’s South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, CA, Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm. Music takes center stage at this celebration of festival style, food and fun! Check out our fashion show filled with the hottest festival looks of the season, hosted by Amy Purdy—TV Personality, Dancer and Paralympic Medalist—with special guest Daniel Musto, celebrity stylist. Plus, take home a commemorative bracelet with any Women’s purchase of $75 or more made during the event. The first 25 customers to check-in will receive a copy of Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colors, on DVD now. RSVP by visiting AmericanIconsSCO.eventbrite.com.
- Macy’s Union Square in San Francisco, Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 2:00 pm. Come to Level 2 and enjoy light bites, the latest ready-to-wear looks and live music from our DJ. *Event subject to change or cancellation.
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
Macy’s celebrates Asian Pacific American Heritage Month with a special tribute to Asian cuisine.
- Macy’s Herald Square in New York, Thursday, May 19 at 6 pm, 8th Floor. Join us for our tribute to Asian Cuisine with Asian food expert, cookbook author and food blogger Katie Chin for an in store cooking demo. Learn to capture the perfect plate with tips from our host Sarah Leung of the blog The Woks of Life. After the demonstration, stick around and enjoy delicious samples, live music and more. Plus, make a purchase of $50 or more in housewares during the event, you will receive a limited edition set of chopsticks along with a copy of Katie’s newest book, Katie Chin’s Everyday Chinese Cookbook: 101 Delicious Recipes from My Mother’s Kitchen, which she will sign for you.* As an added bonus, the first 200 customers will receive gift bags filled with treats sponsored by Yeo's.
Love Bravery Launch
Macy’s introduces a debut collection by Lady Gaga and Sir Elton John designed to inspire bravery for a new generation.
- Macy’s Union Square in San Francisco, Thursday, May 19 at 6 pm. Come decked out in your best Elton John / Lady Gaga and you could take home the grand prize - a $500 Macy’s Shopping Spree*. Guest judges include fashion designer and Project Runway All-Stars winner, Mondo Guerra, and Nya, star of San Francisco’s own reality TV series, Transcendent. Leave a note on the Love Bravery Wall, in partnership with LoveYou2.org, and help change the world one love note at a time. Rock out to both the Superstar’s hits, mashed up by our local mashup DJs from Bootie SF, pop into our Warhol Yourself photo booth and enter for a chance to win dinner for two at AsiaSF*. Plus, the first 200 guests to check-in at the event will receive a special gift**! Events subject to change or cancellation. *No purchase necessary to enter to win. See store for official rules. **One per customer, while supplies last.
- Macy’s Aventura in Miami, Thursday, May 19 at 6 pm. 25% of the Love Bravery Collection purchase price will be donated to Born This Way Foundation to support its work with the Elton John AIDS foundation. Now through August 30, 2016. All donations are to Born This Way Foundation which will use 50% to support the mission of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
Faces of America—Music Edition
Gain an understanding of America’s influence on music and its culture by attending a panel discussion.
- Macy’s Lenox in Atlanta, Saturday, May 14 at 2pm. Featuring American rapper and businesswoman Rasheeda; Owner of Twelve Music & Studios Dina Marto; the CEO of Radar Live & Big Cat Records Melvin “Mel-Man” Breeden; and CEO and Co-Founder of Music Pros Live Ashley Banks. Hosted by CBS News Anchor Tracye Hutchins. Enjoy our Music Pros Live talent showcase and choose a winner. Plus, with any purchase of $40 or more during the event, receive a special gift. To RSVP or for more information, please visit www.facesofmusicatl.eventbrite.com.
- Macy’s Dadeland in Miami, Saturday, May 21 at 10:30 am. Featuring New World Symphony performer, American singer-songwriter, record producer and rapper Rico Love; the creator of Merengue Electronico, Grammy-winning producer, multi-instrumentalist, arranger and recording artist Maffio; American record label owner, rap performer and actor Luther Uncle Luke Campbell; and Chairman and Co-Founder of Music Pros Live Cheryl Joyner. Enjoy our Music Pros Live talent showcase and choose a winner. Plus, with any purchase of $40 or more during the event, receive a special gift.
Let your kids’ inner DJ loose at our interactive Kids’ RockFest. Learn how to DJ with Scratch DJ Academy or just dance to your own beat at our silent disco and much more.
- Macy’s Aventura in Miami, Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 12:00 pm. Bring the kids to our Kids RockFest for an afternoon of interactive fun! Pick up our Backstage Bingo Pass and visit all the activity stations including our DIY Den, Pop Star Style Station, Name that Tune, and more to receive a special prize*! *And, with any $50 or more Kids purchase, receive** your own Animalz by Retrak headphones! For more information, visit Macys.com/American Icons. Event subject to change or cancellation. *While supplies lasts and time permits; One per customer.
- Macy’s Herald Square in New York City, Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 2:00 pm. Stop by our snack station and enjoy* refreshments courtesy of Reed’s Soda, and treats provided by Brookie’s Cookies NYC and The Fluff Factory. And, with any $50 or more Kids purchase, receive** your own Animalz by ReTrak headphones. Event subject to change or cancellation. *While supplies lasts and time permits. **While supplies lasts, one per customer.
National Strawberry Shortcake Day
On Tuesday, June 14, Macy’s will celebrate featuring cooking demos in select stores where chefs will add their local spin.
- Macy’s Herald Square in New York City at 6:00 pm. Meet the bakers and enjoy different versions of the all-American treat* as you shop to the tunes of our DJ. Plus, with a purchase of $35 or more in the Home Department, receive a special gift*. Event subject to change or cancellation. *While supplies lasts and time permits.
- Macy’s Aventura in Miami at 6:30 pm with Chef Michelle Bernstein. Join us as our Macy's Culinary Council Chefs prepare and demo American classics and with any $35 or more purchase in the Home department, you can take home a signed copy of a featured cookbook and receive a $10 Macy's gift card.
- Macy’s Union Square in San Francisco at 6 pm with Yigit Pura, winner of Bravo’s Top Chef: Just Desserts and executive chef and owner of Tout Sweet Patisserie. Come to the Cellar-Lower Level to learn Yigit’s secrets to making dessert magic – and sample his delicious strawberry shortcake. Also, spend $35 or more in the Home Department that day and receive a free copy of Yigit’s book, Sweet Alchemy: Dessert Magic.* *Purchase must be made in the Home Department of Macy’s Union Square on Tuesday, June 14th.
Macy’s celebrates Pride Month 2016.
- Macy’s Herald Square in New York at 5:00 pm, 13th Floor and Men’s Floors. In collaboration with New York City Comptroller Scott M. Stringer, The MEN Event, and Passport Magazine, Macy's invites VIP customers to join the celebration at an exclusive LGBTQ Changemakers award ceremony and reception hosted by a special guest (13th Floor). Afterward, guests will mix and mingle with the 2016 Changemaker award honorees and other supporters of equality. Plus, there will be live performances, passed catering, tempting cocktails, and much more (5th Floor Men’s Dept.).
To learn more about Macy’s American Icons campaign, including the Summer Vibes music festival, fashions, events and partnership with Got Your 6, visit macys.com/americanicons.